Island City Book Club
February 20th: Factfulness / Hans Rosling
Factfulness: The stress-reducing habit of only carrying opinions for which you have strong supporting facts.
When asked simple questions about global trends―what percentage of the world’s population live in poverty; why the world’s population is increasing; how many girls finish school―we systematically get the answers wrong. So wrong that a chimpanzee choosing answers at random will consistently outguess teachers, journalists, Nobel laureates, and investment bankers.
In Factfulness, Professor of International Health and global TED phenomenon Hans Rosling, together with his two long-time collaborators, Anna and Ola, offers a radical new explanation of why this happens. They reveal the ten instincts that distort our perspective―from our tendency to divide the world into two camps (usually some version of us and them) to the way we consume media (where fear rules) to how we perceive progress (believing that most things are getting worse).
Our problem is that we don’t know what we don’t know, and even our guesses are informed by unconscious and predictable biases.
It turns out that the world, for all its imperfections, is in a much better state than we might think. That doesn’t mean there aren’t real concerns. But when we worry about everything all the time instead of embracing a worldview based on facts, we can lose our ability to focus on the things that threaten us most.
Inspiring and revelatory, filled with lively anecdotes and moving stories, Factfulness is an urgent and essential book that will change the way you see the world and empower you to respond to the crises and opportunities of the future.
“This book is my last battle in my life-long mission to fight devastating ignorance… Previously I armed myself with huge data sets, eye-opening software, an energetic learning style and a Swedish bayonet for sword-swallowing. It wasn’t enough. But I hope this book will be.” Hans Rosling, February 2017.
Upcoming titles include:
- March 20th: Educated / Tara Westover
Past book club selections include:
- The No. 1 Ladies' Detective Agency / Alexander McCall Smith
- Don Quixote / Miguel Cervantes
- Before We Were Yours / Lisa Wingate
- Lady Osbaldestone’s Christmas Goose, Stephanie Laurens
- Erotic Stories for Punjabi Widows / Balli Kaur Jaswal
Options for obtaining copies of book club selections include:
- Add your name to the Public Library of Wilton Manors holds list. Access our electronic catalog to place a hold online. Please note that copies are limited, so we cannot meet every request in time for book club.
- Check the catalog of the Oakland Park Library.
- Check the catalog of the Broward County Library system. Members can login and place a request for book delivery to any branch.
Return to the library home page.