Island City Book Club
Wednesday, September 21st, 2022 at 6:30 PM: I Know Why the Caged Bird Sings / Maya Angelou
I Know Why the Caged Bird Sings
Here is a book as joyous and painful, as mysterious and memorable, as childhood itself. I Know Why the Caged Bird Sings captures the longing of lonely children, the brute insult of bigotry, and the wonder of words that can make the world right. Maya Angelou’s debut memoir is a modern American classic beloved worldwide.
Sent by their mother to live with their devout, self-sufficient grandmother in a small Southern town, Maya and her brother, Bailey, endure the ache of abandonment and the prejudice of the local “powhitetrash.” At eight years old and back at her mother’s side in St. Louis, Maya is attacked by a man many times her age—and has to live with the consequences for a lifetime. Years later, in San Francisco, Maya learns that love for herself, the kindness of others, her own strong spirit, and the ideas of great authors (“I met and fell in love with William Shakespeare”) will allow her to be free instead of imprisoned.
Poetic and powerful, I Know Why the Caged Bird Sings will touch hearts and change minds for as long as people read.
Upcoming titles include:
TBD / TBD
Past book club selections include:
- The Water Dancer / Ta Nehesi Coates
- Inheritance / Dani Shapiro
- The Moment of Lift / Melinda Gates
Options for obtaining copies of book club selections include:
*Copies of the month's Book Club discussion questions are usually available at the front desk! Feel free to ask about them.
- Add your name to the Public Library of Wilton Manors holds list. Access our electronic catalog to place a hold online. Please note that copies are limited, so we cannot meet every request in time for book club.
- Check the catalog of the Oakland Park Library.
- Check the catalog of the Broward County Library system. Members can login and place a request for book delivery to any branch.
Please visit us or contact the Wilton Manors Library at (954) 390-2195 if you have questions about the Island City Book Club. We look forward to seeing you soon.
Return to the library home page.
TBD / TBD